Sunday, September 23, 2007

Greyhound Update

Well, I picked up a second greyhound on Friday named Atlanta. I thought that if I got a second one, the two greyhounds could stay home while Rusty and I went running or hiking or whatever and we wouldn't have any separation anxiety issues. It was a good thought but it isn't going to turn out that way I'm afraid. Atlanta is a beautiful red dog (actually is the color of a deer) that is just about the same size as Disciple, but with one main difference, he's a jumper. He learned very early that he can jump the baby gates and spent a few hours on Saturday with the run of the house while I was at the Humane Society. As you can guess, he didn't find it necessary to jump the gate to get back outside to do his business. That wasn't the problem though because I expected a mess or two while they were learning that the house is their XXL crate. The problem is that I don't foresee him stopping the jumping and that causes an issue. I setup the baby gates in the hallway so that the dogs would have more room to access the house and air conditioning. Given that I can't use the gates, they'd be forced into just the laundry room. If you've seen my laundry room, you know that it's not big enough for 3 dogs! I have made the very difficult decision to give up both greyhounds. I can't keep Disciple if he's going to freak every time he's home alone, and he's not built to hike and/or run the distances that I'd ask of him. I am not going to stop taking Rusty on the things he's enjoyed for nearly 3 years so that only leaves me one choice, and that's to give up the fosters. I hate that I can't make things work with these guys because I'm really attached to them, but it has to be right for all of us, and given the current situation, it's not. I am not sure when I will be returning them, I'm waiting to hear back from the AZ Adopt a Greyhound people. Sad day...